Pastor & Staff
Get to know the leadership of Baptist Grove.Meet Our Leaders
Baptist Grove Church is a growing, multi-generational congregation in the heart of Raleigh, North Carolina. We are a progressive, contemporary church with traditional values, which is seen in a strong blend of the traditional and contemporary in our worship services. We believe all people are an expression of God’s image (Genesis 1:26). Therefore, we seek to honor God by expressing love to our community and everyone who enters our doors. Our love for God’s Word is seen through strong, practical, and Biblically-centered teaching and preaching. Founded in 1878, we value and celebrate our rich past and seek to be a faithful witness of our Lord in the present.
The vision of Baptist Grove Church is to reach, grow and empower committed followers of Jesus Christ, who live life to the fullest through growing in relationship with God, strengthening relationships with others, and bringing life to our world through service.
We do this by knowing God through His Word, loving God with our lives, strengthening our family, uniting in fellowship, loving with our hearts and serving with our hands.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
On July 24, 1875, Henry Turner, Claybourne Fletcher, Sidney Mitchell and Jim Chavis purchased four acres of land on Leesville Road from J.J. Lynn. The date probated by a judge was July 29, 1875 and filed on September 16, 1875. The property was located nine miles northwest of Raleigh, North Carolina near Leesville Township in Wake County. One day, under a bush arbor on the land, these first officers discussed establishing a church. A church service was held under the bush arbor from its beginning until 1878.
In 1878, a beautiful white one-room log structure was built and named Baptist Grove Baptist Church. The church was 10 feet by 20 feet, and the back faced Leesville Road. The Reverends Larie Green and Daniel Tucker were selected by the congregation to co-pastor Baptist Grove Baptist Church; however, the Wake Association listed the Reverend Tucker as pastor from 1878 to 1902. Baptist Grove Baptist Church was received into the Wake Baptist Association in 1885.