Safety Emergency Response Team (SERT)
Living to Serve
Volunteer Job Description
Ministry: Security Emergency Response Team (SERT)
Team Lead: Bro. Antoine Medley
Virtual or On-Site: On-Site
Volunteer Job Description:
Ministry Purpose: SERT Ministry focuses on the safety of BGC members, staff, visitors, and church property. As the first line of protection, the SERT volunteers identify actions and/or situations that need to be addressed immediately, brought to the attention of the professional security officer(s), and/ or senior church leadership
“Son of man, speak to your people and say to them: ‘When I bring the sword against a land, and the people of the land choose one of their men and make him their watchman, and he sees the sword coming against the land and blows the trumpet to warn the people.” (Ezekiel 33:2-3)
Role and Responsibilities:
The security team observes and assesses people and the environment continuously and purposefully. They make a reasonable evaluation of any suspicious person or situation and the potential for disruption or harm. Appropriate action could be verbal engagement and/or
soliciting assistance from professional security or church staff.
- More volunteers to serve as “Watchman” for our church. Those that have the desire to serve with a keen sense of service, and seriousness for protecting our church and welcoming members/visitors.
- Security for Sunday In-Person Worship Service
- Security for special on campus events
- Medical Professionals for Sunday In-Person Worship Service
Requirements to serve:
- Background Check
- Friendly Demeanor/Engagement
- Servant’s Heart
- Observant/Serious about God’s Work
- Sunday Service (time commitment based on service and frequency)
- 1 hour for Ministry Meetings
- Varied based on special events
Spiritual Gifts that align to this need are listed below. You may have one or more of these gifts which may contribute to your being a good addition to the team.
Mentoring – The ability to affirm, to equip, and to support other Christians in spiritual formation and Christian ministry
Service – The ability to perform the most basic acts of kindness as a means to glorify God and to embody the Gospel
Helps – The ability and overwhelming desire to aid persons in need
Wisdom – The capacity to convincingly illustrate the mystery of God’s truth in very concrete practical and specific ways
Not sure if this position is right for you? Take our spiritual gits assessment to learn your gifts.
Share This Group